Wednesday 26 October 2011

Federal Government reneges on promise......AGAIN.

It was great to finally get the news I have been waiting and hoping for for 5 years today.  The City voted 10-3 for a project that as a hockey fan was a slam dunk, but as a citizen of Edmonton was a long time coming.  I was born and raised in Edmonton and anything that can transform this city is something I will support.

That is why I am shocked, dismayed and extremely angry tonight to hear that the Federal Government has reneged on yet another promise to Alberta and Edmonton and will not fund the 92 million for the Alberta Royal Museum.  This basically puts the project on hold.  Of course that same Government backed out of Expo funding and the Portrait Gallery promised to our City.

I have always been proud to be a Canadian, but I have to question the benefit of being part of a Constitution that continually abandons us and yet happily takes our transfer payments which support many eastern projects.

Every few years I watch as the election is already decided before I get to vote, I watched as my family struggled under the weight of an National Energy Program, crippling our Province and cringe when I hear it brought up every few months.   Sit idly by while our Federal Government cashes our transfer payments so it can support Eastern Canadian interests.

When is enough, enough?

Quebec has made a very good living off threatening to leave Canada, when in reality we know they would never actually leave.

As much as it pains me to write this paragraph, is it time for BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan to consider leaving Canada?   Unless Canada gets a system that gives citizens equal representation we will continually be kicked in the teeth.

I am mad and I not sure I want to take it anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment